A weird term, sleep hygiene.

I've only heard it called this in the past few months, but basically sleep hygiene means doing what you need to do throughout the day to make it possible for you to sleep well at night.  



They are basic things and I think that a lot of times we think that basic things won't help, but we are fighting for joy with everything we have and anything we can do, no matter how small, we're going to do right?  

Here are a few tips:

Turn off screens an hour or so before bed.   Yes, you can have your phone by the bed if you must use it for an alarm clock, but don't be "on" it.  

Avoid napping.

Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol and nicotine.

Exercise but earlier in the day.

Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.  Reading a book is a good one.  

I have found a trick that works for me sometimes is to tense and then relax my muscles, from my neck down to my toes, each one in turn.  

Prevention Magazine recommends a breathing pattern that might help.  Here it is. 

I personally find that if I can't go to sleep after a while, it's best to get up out of bed and try reading again for a little while and then try again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment